Answers to legal questions

posed by the general public to Memphis Attorney Christina Burdette

Q: Child support and adoption...

Have recently been given full permanent custody of my daughter and her half brother as well. Mother has one visit a week as long as I approve who what when where why and how and can even go and approve a home where she will take them. If I don't feel they are safe I don't have to let them go. My question is the mother has only seen the children twice in a year. Can I get child support for them? Also, can I adopt my daughters half brother who isn't mine and still get child support as well. Need help and what do I do and where.

A: You can file a petition requesting child support....

no matter how many or how few days the mother sees the children. In Tennessee, child support is based on several factors: your income, the mother's income, the number of days the children are with the custodial parent, etc. Credit is given for health insurance coverage and daycare expenses. Also, the child support calculation takes into consideration the number of additional children that the parents are supporting. I can't answer your second question without knowing more information. Do you know the father of your daughter's half brother? If so, will he join in the adoption petition,agreeing to terminate his parental rights and agreeing to your adoption of the child? Will his mother join in the petition as well? Before you adopt your daughter's half brother, you can file a petition requesting child support from the biological father. If you adopt your daughter's half-brother, you cannot get child support.

Click here to see other question & answer pages

Adoption Appeals Cases

In Re: Marissa O.R. Adoption Case

Child Custody and Parental Rights Cases

In Re: Alexis C. Parental Rights

Ankton v. Ankton Custody

Benedict v. Benedict Custody

In Re: Brennen T. Parental Rights

In Re: Christopher J.B., Jr. et al Parental Rights

Cantrell v. Cantrell Custody

In Re: Donna E.W. et al Parental Rights

Duke v. Duke Custody Parenting Plan

Gentry v. Gentry Custody

In Re: Grace Y. Parental Rights and Custody

In Re: Jayden G. Parental Rights and Custody

Kason C. et al Parental Rights

In Re: K.N.B. Parental Rights and Custody

Lower v. Lower Parenting Plan

Rucker v. Harris Custody

Samuel P. et al Parental Right

In Re Aaliyah R. Parental Rights

In Re: Tiara T. Parental Rights and Custody

Touchton v. Touchton Custody

In Re: Victoria W. Parental Rights

Child Support Cases

Taylor Moore v. Taylor Child Support

Purdy v. Smith Child Support

Conservatorship & Guardianship

In Re: Maurice M. Acree, Jr. Conservatorship

Potter v. Patterson Guardianship

Divorce & Alimony

Berg v. Berg Divorce Appeal

Fogle v. Fogle Alimony - Spousal Support

Gaither v. Gaither Divorce - Property Division

Miller v. McFarland Alimony

Myrick v. Myrick Alimony

Taylor Moore v. Taylor Divorce Property Division

Wilhoit v. Wilhoit Alimony

More information on divorce, custody, support, and asset division.

Alimony Basics
Grounds for Divorce
Divorce Financials
Funding Family Law Actions.
Planning for Divorce.
After Divorce Name Change.
Divorce Protective Order.
Annulment instead of Divorce.
Divorce Parenting Plan.
Child abuse claims during Divorce.
Post Divorce Parenting Plan Change.
Social Media & Divorce.
Paternity claims.
Divorce Flow Chart
15 Divorce tips
Tennessee DIY Divorce Information
Tennessee Divorce Mediation Process
Tennessee Child Custody Law
Tennessee Child Support Law
Tennessee Child Adoption Law

Hire an Experienced Lawyer

At The Burdette Law Firm we are competent, and caring lawyers and parents ourselves. When dealing with family law matters, and will provide excellent legal advice. We give our clients a great deal of information on family so they can have the proper understanding to make important legal decisions. Family law is an emotional process, and we always strive to ease the stress during this difficult situation.

Contact our lawyers for more information

After reviewing the above if you have questions and need our assistance in a family law matter, please call us at (901) 756-7878 or use the contact form to the right.

christina burdette memphis lawyer
Christina Burdette