Answers to legal questions

posed by the general public to Memphis Attorney Christina Burdette

Q: "Several years ago, my mother put my name with hers...

...on the house in Hixson, TN that my grandmother had left to her when she'd passed away. 3 years ago, my mother passed away, survived by my father, older sister and myself. The county appraiser's office still lists the house in my and my mother's names. My mother's will left all her assets to my father. What is the current ownership of the home? Did my mother's 'part' of the house transfer to my father? My father and I have reasons to not want any ownership of the house to fall on my sister. What would we need to do to make that assured?"

A: Go to the county register's office..

...and get a copy of the current deed. Take the deed to an attorney and get a legal opinion on how the property is titled. Your mother could have named you as a joint tenant with right of survivorship. If that's the case, you are now the sole owner of the property. On the other hand, you may only own half of the real estate as a tenant in common with your mother. In that case, you own one-half of the property and your mother's half will pass under the terms of her last will and testament. You didn't mentioned whether your mother's will was admitted to probate. That may be necessary. You need to consult with an attorney.

Click here to see other question & answer pages

Adoption Appeals Cases

In Re: Marissa O.R. Adoption Case

Child Custody and Parental Rights Cases

In Re: Alexis C. Parental Rights

Ankton v. Ankton Custody

Benedict v. Benedict Custody

In Re: Brennen T. Parental Rights

In Re: Christopher J.B., Jr. et al Parental Rights

Cantrell v. Cantrell Custody

In Re: Donna E.W. et al Parental Rights

Duke v. Duke Custody Parenting Plan

Gentry v. Gentry Custody

In Re: Grace Y. Parental Rights and Custody

In Re: Jayden G. Parental Rights and Custody

Kason C. et al Parental Rights

In Re: K.N.B. Parental Rights and Custody

Lower v. Lower Parenting Plan

Rucker v. Harris Custody

Samuel P. et al Parental Right

In Re Aaliyah R. Parental Rights

In Re: Tiara T. Parental Rights and Custody

Touchton v. Touchton Custody

In Re: Victoria W. Parental Rights

Child Support Cases

Taylor Moore v. Taylor Child Support

Purdy v. Smith Child Support

Conservatorship & Guardianship

In Re: Maurice M. Acree, Jr. Conservatorship

Potter v. Patterson Guardianship

Divorce & Alimony

Berg v. Berg Divorce Appeal

Fogle v. Fogle Alimony - Spousal Support

Gaither v. Gaither Divorce - Property Division

Miller v. McFarland Alimony

Myrick v. Myrick Alimony

Taylor Moore v. Taylor Divorce Property Division

Wilhoit v. Wilhoit Alimony

More information on divorce, custody, support, and asset division.

Alimony Basics
Grounds for Divorce
Divorce Financials
Funding Family Law Actions.
Planning for Divorce.
After Divorce Name Change.
Divorce Protective Order.
Annulment instead of Divorce.
Divorce Parenting Plan.
Child abuse claims during Divorce.
Post Divorce Parenting Plan Change.
Social Media & Divorce.
Paternity claims.
Divorce Flow Chart
15 Divorce tips
Tennessee DIY Divorce Information
Tennessee Divorce Mediation Process
Tennessee Child Custody Law
Tennessee Child Support Law
Tennessee Child Adoption Law

Hire an Experienced Lawyer

At The Burdette Law Firm we are competent, and caring lawyers and parents ourselves. When dealing with family law matters, and will provide excellent legal advice. We give our clients a great deal of information on family so they can have the proper understanding to make important legal decisions. Family law is an emotional process, and we always strive to ease the stress during this difficult situation.

Contact our lawyers for more information

After reviewing the above if you have questions and need our assistance in a family law matter, please call us at (901) 756-7878 or use the contact form to the right.

christina burdette memphis lawyer
Christina Burdette