Answers to legal questions

posed by the general public to Memphis Attorney Christina Burdette

Q: "Estate was entered into probate in 2013,... has funds just over 30,000.00 so did not qualify for small estate at the time. since small estate laws changed in 2014 can I refile this estate as a small estate thereby eliminating the tenncare claim?"

A: Whether or not a TennCare waiver..

...should be requested is not driven by the procedure used to open an estate. The estate of any person age 55 and older for whom TennCare (Medicaid) has paid for nursing home (or other long-term institutional) services or Home and Community Based Services and the estate of any permanently institutionalized individual is subject to TennCare (Medicaid) Estate Recovery. If the estate is not being probated, you do not have to provide the probate court information, but you must obtain a release of TennCare's claim prior to disbursement of funds and/or assets. So refiling as a small estate will not obviate the requirement that you request a waiver from the Bureau of TennCare.
There are only a few exemptions from estate recovery: If there is a surviving spouse, TennCare will not recover from the estate until the time of the surviving spouse's death if:
The surviving spouse requests an exemption; and
The surviving spouse provides documentation of proof of marriage.
If there is a minor child under the age of 18, TennCare will not recover from the estate until the minor child reaches the age of 18 if:
The child or the child's representative requests an exemption to recovery; and
The child or the child's representative provides a copy of the child's birth certificate as proof of relationship.
If there is a disabled child TennCare will not recover from the estate until the death of the disabled child if:
The disabled child or the disabled child's representative requests an exemption; and
The disabled child or the disabled child's representative provides a copy of the Social Security Disability Determination proving disability; and
The disabled child or the disabled child's representative provides a copy of a birth certificate proving relationship.

Click here to see other question & answer pages

Adoption Appeals Cases

In Re: Marissa O.R. Adoption Case

Child Custody and Parental Rights Cases

In Re: Alexis C. Parental Rights

Ankton v. Ankton Custody

Benedict v. Benedict Custody

In Re: Brennen T. Parental Rights

In Re: Christopher J.B., Jr. et al Parental Rights

Cantrell v. Cantrell Custody

In Re: Donna E.W. et al Parental Rights

Duke v. Duke Custody Parenting Plan

Gentry v. Gentry Custody

In Re: Grace Y. Parental Rights and Custody

In Re: Jayden G. Parental Rights and Custody

Kason C. et al Parental Rights

In Re: K.N.B. Parental Rights and Custody

Lower v. Lower Parenting Plan

Rucker v. Harris Custody

Samuel P. et al Parental Right

In Re Aaliyah R. Parental Rights

In Re: Tiara T. Parental Rights and Custody

Touchton v. Touchton Custody

In Re: Victoria W. Parental Rights

Child Support Cases

Taylor Moore v. Taylor Child Support

Purdy v. Smith Child Support

Conservatorship & Guardianship

In Re: Maurice M. Acree, Jr. Conservatorship

Potter v. Patterson Guardianship

Divorce & Alimony

Berg v. Berg Divorce Appeal

Fogle v. Fogle Alimony - Spousal Support

Gaither v. Gaither Divorce - Property Division

Miller v. McFarland Alimony

Myrick v. Myrick Alimony

Taylor Moore v. Taylor Divorce Property Division

Wilhoit v. Wilhoit Alimony

More information on divorce, custody, support, and asset division.

Alimony Basics
Grounds for Divorce
Divorce Financials
Funding Family Law Actions.
Planning for Divorce.
After Divorce Name Change.
Divorce Protective Order.
Annulment instead of Divorce.
Divorce Parenting Plan.
Child abuse claims during Divorce.
Post Divorce Parenting Plan Change.
Social Media & Divorce.
Paternity claims.
Divorce Flow Chart
15 Divorce tips
Tennessee DIY Divorce Information
Tennessee Divorce Mediation Process
Tennessee Child Custody Law
Tennessee Child Support Law
Tennessee Child Adoption Law

Hire an Experienced Lawyer

At The Burdette Law Firm we are competent, and caring lawyers and parents ourselves. When dealing with family law matters, and will provide excellent legal advice. We give our clients a great deal of information on family so they can have the proper understanding to make important legal decisions. Family law is an emotional process, and we always strive to ease the stress during this difficult situation.

Contact our lawyers for more information

After reviewing the above if you have questions and need our assistance in a family law matter, please call us at (901) 756-7878 or use the contact form to the right.

christina burdette memphis lawyer
Christina Burdette