The Burdette
Law Firm
Lawyers: Germantown - Memphis, TN.
(901) 756-7878
in Germantown
(901) 756-6433
in Memphis

Answers to general legal questions posed by the general public

by Memphis Attorney Christina Burdette

Q: "Dose my boyfriend need to pay child support...

...even thought were not married and living in the state of florida. Im asking this question because im 6 months pregnate and i am reciving public aid. Dose he need to pay child support even though we are togather?"

A: This question can't be answered with a simple yes or no...

...First of all, child support doesn't become an obligation until your child is born. Child support is an obligation that a father has to his child. Is your boyfriend the father? If he is, will his name be on the child's birth certificate? If not, paternity will have to be established, either voluntarily by him or by the court system. In Tennessee, once paternity is established, your boyfriend can either pay child support voluntarily, you can file a petition for child support, or the state will file a petition for support on your behalf if you are receiving government assistance.

See our desktop / laptop site