The Burdette
Law Firm
Lawyers: Germantown - Memphis, TN.
(901) 756-7878
in Germantown
(901) 756-6433
in Memphis

Answers to general legal questions posed by the general public

by Memphis Attorney Christina Burdette

Can I as a non-custodial parent file my child on my taxes...

...if I pay child support? I pay $928 in child support for my son who is in the custody of his mother. I cover 100% of his daycare expenses and anything else asked of me from his mother. Is there not a way that I can file him on my taxes since I do support him? ".

Answer: Under the Tennessee child support guidelines....

...a presumption is made that the person receiving child support is the person who will claim the child on his/her tax return. An adjustment to that presumption can be made in the permanent parenting plan. Look at your plan and see what you agreed to or what the judge ordered.

See our desktop / laptop site